Tuesday, March 25, 2008

BRIAAN!!! (all one syllable)

I title this entry as such because you likely have immediately noticed the difference in writing style - that's right lady's and gentleman, boys and girls, little children, dogs and cats - Catherine has given your's truly the password to the blog and the first thing I hear once she reads this is going to, more than likely, be exactly that. Just read the line, sweetheart - BRIAAN!!!

So, as I said, I have been entrusted to task of bringing everyone up to speed since the last entry, which I believe was on the evening that our heroine made her triumphant return home from the port-implantation surgery. Since that time: chemo, feeling like crap, Cookie came to town, the elusiveness of Granger, Easter sunday, back to Cherry Blossomin', and feeling like crap all over again. Here's the details.

On Thursday, Catherine, Holley, Ma Pam and Tavia Henderson (Catherine's voice of guidance thus far), all went to Coliseum for the first round of chemotherapy. She was scheduled to receive her first dose of the nasty little booger they call "The Red Devil" triple cocktail (trust me, this ain't something you used to drink back in your college days). They call the three types of treatment within her chemotherapy the "Red Devil" because, as you likely have already pictured, this thing is a bitch! (Lord, I apologize). Well, I actually went to school this day, but had 1:00-2:30pm scheduled as my planning period, so I scooted my way on over to the dr.'s office just as soon as it hit 1:00pm and actually arrived just as the process was starting. Let me tell you folks, you would have been proud. Our girl was chin up, dressed to impress and just as fiesty as you might have expected. Leaving to head back to school was a definite downer for the both of us, but she took it right in stride and kept right on trucking.

With Mom and Holley there to keep Catherine occupied, she thought she was doing better than ok, until Molly showed up and that just lit up her day. So much in fact that, from what I have heard, as Catherine was coming out of the office back into the waiting area, she saw a young woman who looked as though she was fighting back the tears. Catherine eased towards her and asked politely, "Were you just diagnosed with breast cancer?" The woman managed a nod. And what I am told happened next is just the thing that makes me know more than ever that this struggle nor any other will ever hold our heroine down. She responded saying, "My name is Catherine Carswell and I was diagnosed on February 28th. I just finished my first treatment of chemo. I want you to know that you are going to be alright. God is gonna take care of you." I am not sure just how precise my recollection is, but let me assure you, this is prime cut, Grade A exemplorary of why Catherine is going to beat the brakes off this cancer (metaphorically speaking).

Julie, Tre and Emma Grace were in town and came out to the house Wednesday and Thursday nights. And nearer to midnight on Thursday, Scott and Catie Beth got here as well. I think we are gonna hire Catie Beth out to hospices and nursing homes cause that little girl's presence will most certainly lift your spirits in a heartbeat. She is walking everywhere, doing her Miss I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T thing, and talking up a storm. She tell you what she wants (or does not), when she is ready (or not), and just about every sound that any animal in the zoo or a box of Animal Crackers makes. You should see her go. That girl will be a genius - bet on it.

Friday and Saturday were basically days of recooperation; Catherine got a steriod shot on Friday to help her with overcoming the visciousness of the chemo. But hey, just think, only 3 more weeks until we get to do it all again! (insert Joe Pesci in "Home Alone" style muttled explitive here). Saturday suprised her (not really - she's got books that tell her everything before it actually happens) with the stiffness, soreness and flu-like symptoms typical of the day following a steroid shot. Oh joy, more fun! (addition muttled vulgarity optional).

To add to all this fun, but more for my perspective, Granger decided that the pen, which we put together for him last weekend, was simply far too meager accommodations for him to call home. So he chewed through the chain length fence. Allow me to repeat the verbage their for those with the untrained eye - Granger CHEWED through the chain length fence. How in the world do you even do that? I mean - honestly. So Scott and I spent almost all day Saturday and Sunday working on some new quarters for the master of mischief.

Sunday was Easter and we all went to church - Bubba (Mr. Lee), Gigi (Ms. Pam), Holley, Scott, Cookie (Catie Beth), CatCat (Catherine), Sarah MacConnell (YoungLife leader with Catherine and I and Catherine's voice of female reason) and B (that's me). It was a fanatastic service at the Bowman; Pastor Bob Moon shared the story following Catherine's chemo treatment from above and it nearly put me in tears. I tell ya, this girl nows how to get me. After service, we went to Giuseppi's - no way in Hades we were all getting into Jeanenne's.

Yesterday, Catherine went back to the Cherry Blossom house to get some work done with Ms. Connie, but I am really afraid that in the excitement to have her helper and partner in crime back on the scence, she may have worn ol' Catherine down. So Catherine came on home after lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon yesterday in the bed. This morning she arose with a bit of fever and, as a result, we spent the remainder in the day in the doctor's office. Her port did not seem to allow the nurses to draw blood as they should so we will be back at Coliseum tomorrow morning and try once again.

Sorry, I can not tell you all more, but this is the majority of what I know and I will have to leave the rest of the info up to our girl to fill you in later. It's bed time; narcolepsy is creeping up on me.

Check the Ta-Ta's (or let somebody do it for ya)!

Sincerely,
Brian

PS. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

3 comments:

Mark Aronowitz said...

Catherine, My name is Mark Aronowitz, and I'm the youth and young adult pastor at your sister and brother-in-law's church in Knoxville. I want you to know that EVERY DAY I pray for you...in my office, first thing in the morning. Distance between people sucks, and I can honestly tell you that our young adult group wishes that we were all closer to you in miles. Know that we're going to be fighting this with you from a distance with the power of prayer...and in the mean time we'll keep flooding you with love and support, and the frequent ROCKING PACKAGES of fun stuff! As a fellow young lifer (my wife and I met on Young Life staff and combined spent almost 10 years with YL), and a dear friend of your sweet family...know that you are LOVED TODAY by your creator and by your friends in Knoxville, Tennessee. Sorry for the novel...just wanted to formally introduce myself! Praying for you today. In Christ, -Mark Aronowitz-

Sarah Mac said...

Oh B, good update! Hope things go well today. Call me if you guys need anything. Hope "CatCat" is back on her feet for the ball this weekend. And yes i do predict that soon you will hear the call of "BRIIAAANN" (alloneword).

Have a great day today!

Sarah (the voice of reason)

Katherine said...

Catherine, just wanted to let you know that Joel and I are praying for you often and that we love you.